Aging does not always turn out the way we want it to. Tons of hard work and discipline are required to achieve healthy aging. And for most of the people who have reached that “prime,” regular physical activity is needed.
This is where recumbent bike comes in. It has now become an item for the oldies that do not have the luxury of energy to hit the gym. This machine helps them get through their daily habits with a little exercise.
So what is the best recumbent bike for seniors? In this article, we will talk about the top 5 brands and compare their features.
How To Choose A Recumbent Bike
Before purchasing a recumbent bike, you have to consider different factors first. Especially if this is your first time picking heavy equipment, you may want to take a step back.
It is easy choosing the design and the overall physicality of the bike, but it is much more than that. So if you are not a fitness machine literate, let us narrow it down for you.
The first thing you need to factor in before having the store swipe your card is the price. This may probably be the most important for you if you are on a strict budget.
You have to know that recumbent bikes are way cheaper than those upright bikes. According to recumbents.com, this is because recumbent bikes are not yet that commercialized.
The price range if a recumbent bike can go from as high as $500 to more than a thousand dollars. Those in the range of $500 are the heavier ones in the relatively older models.
Size Of The Rider
This is another crucial factor. You have to know that the comfort of riding these bicycles is dependent on your height and weight too. If you are taller than average, some bikes have long wheelbases. This will help you not overstretch your legs.
If you are on the heavy and tall side, you would want to consider buying a big and adjustable unit. Is there more than one person who will use the bike? If yes, you would also want to be sure that the adjustable levers are easy to operate.
You need to count this factor in so that you know how much money you need to be spending. Are you only riding this to have a quick exercise fix at home? Will you be using this as part of formal training or workout program?
If it is the former, then it is highly suggested that you purchase the cheaper ones under $1000. Most likely, you will only be using it once in a while.
This means the ones that are built for comfort are best. But if you want a higher performance bike, you will have to spend more.
These are just a few of the things you would want to consider before shopping for your recumbent bike. It would help to ask your trusted salesman before making the call.
Top 5 Recumbent Bike For Seniors
Key Features: This stationary bike is magnetically resistant. It supports hardcore workout programs and extensive routines. The resistance can be set in eight different levels depending on your preference. It is wide and long, and it can hold up to a weight of 200 pounds.
- The unit is easy to use; you can ride smoothly on it since the flywheels are two-way.
- It has a built-in LCD monitor in which you can set the time and the speed you are targeting.
- You can also set your target heart rate using the pad for the pulse.
- You also have the privilege to see how much calories you will be burning right on the monitor display.
- As of the moment, the unit will be shipped to your doorstep for free. The offer lasts until the 28th of March.
- The instruction manual that comes with the unit is easy to follow because the diagrams are clear. The instructions are also well explained.
- Just like most stationary magnetic bikes, it is a little hard to install and set up. There are tiny parts like bolts that could easily get lost.
- You cannot just stop in the middle of assembling it as you might lose some parts. You might get a little confused too.
Key Features: This Marcy ME is a versatile exercise bike that lets you preset your resistance levels. It has eight levels to choose from. The LCD of this unit helps you monitor and set your target speed and distance. It is light with a weight of only 66 pounds.
- It is easy to use and adjust. If you want to set the resistance level, you only have to turn the knobs to your desired point.
- The pedals are easy to manipulate and have adjustable straps. You will no longer have to worry about straining your feet too much.
- Because the unit is lightweight, you can easily transport it anywhere. You can also set it up without having to worry about lifting it here and there.
- The unit also comes with wrenches so you can tighten the bolts quickly.
- The seat cushion is comfortable for the rider.
- It does not give out loud noises that other recumbent bikes do when pedaling.
- The rider has the freedom to lean forward or back while riding it; both are comfortable.
- Working on the setup and installation can be a little time-consuming. You also have to be careful not to lose the bolts that are sometimes too tiny to see.
- There is a possibility of over-tightening the bolts in the axle area. This can cause irregularities in the resistance levels in the long run.
Key Features: Exerpeutic 900XL lives up to its name—therapeutic exercise. The unit is magnetic and can be easily adjusted regarding control. It has an LCD that helps you see your speed and distance.
It can hold up to a total weight of 300 pounds. The unit comes with a warranty from the manufacturer as well.
- The unit is sturdy enough even for riders who are on the heavier side. The frames and wheels are built well for big riders.
- The instruction manual is easy to follow even for seniors who are usually confused about technology. There are clear diagrams of how to do the step by step procedures.
- It works well with any height as well. Even those people who are 6-feet tall can fit well on the seat and not have their legs all too bent.
- The riders can measure not only their speed and distance. They can also monitor their pulse rates and count the calories they burn.
- It has tiny little wheels on the far end. These wheels are intended for easy storage. You can move them freely to where you want it in your home.
- The cushion or seat allows the rider to go easy on their hips and waist. It is good even for the seniors who have a medical condition on these body parts.
- The seat, although good for the buttocks, is not heavily padded. It might not work well for the seniors who want a thicker seat for their sensitive buttocks.
- It is not intended for extended, long miles of riding as the frame can break with too much force.
Key Features: This Sunny Health and Fitness bike have an adjustable resistance level. You can choose from eight different levels.
The unit’s seat is also adjustable with a handle you could easily manipulate to your preference. It has an LCD monitor where you can check your speed and distance.
- The unit is lightweight and can easily be transported from one place to another. This will be a useful feature for the seniors who could not easily move heavy parts during installation.
- The unit is sturdy, and the frames stick well to the body.
- All adjustable features are easy to manipulate as long as you follow the instruction manual.
- You can also monitor your pulse in the LCD. Toggling the options on it is also quite manageable.
- The parts of the bike are all well-kept in storage bags separately. This helps the user identify which group of parts goes with which.
- You can easily contact Sunny Health and Fitness in their customer service for any problem. They readily respond, and they help walk you through the installation process.
- The unit is reasonably cheaper than the other units that have similar features.
- For the seniors, it might be a little tricky to hook up the resistance part. If you are in your 70’s or 80’s, you might need to ask help for this particular procedure.
- It may take a lot of time to finish the complete setup.
Key Features: Schwinn 270 is a high-end recumbent bike that has two LCD displays. You can monitor 13 different categories with 29 different programs preset.
It has its database called Schwinn Connect that helps you create a target plan that suits your fitness goals. It has a USB port for charging.
- It has the highest number of resistance levels compared to other recumbent bikes. It has 25 levels in total.
- The flywheels are in definitive high speed and are guaranteed not to make loud noises as they are magnetic.
- The user settings of the two-window display screens enable you to personalize the data. This will help keep you inspired as you reach your goals and targets.
- The parts are well packed with the parts all intact. With the clarity of the instruction manual, you can quickly assemble it in no time.
- The database can store up to four different users or riders. There is no need for you to keep on resetting if you are using it with other people in your household.
- The seats can be adjusted to your desired height by just pulling a lever underneath.
- Schwinn brands are known for their long-lasting and sturdy equipment, and this is no exception.
- The unit can also be easily stored anywhere in your home as it does not occupy too much space.
- Through time, too much use and wear and tear, the pedals might make excessive noises. This can happen especially if it is overused daily by more than one person.
- It may not fit people who are on the taller side such as those who are 6-feet tall. It may be uncomfortable for them to sit and stretch their legs.
So there you have it—our top 5 best recumbent bikes for seniors. These bikes are highly recommended for those who want to age gracefully and healthily.
If you notice, it is quite tough to choose one that works best for your home. This is because they have almost the same features. This is why I vote for Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike as the best bet.
Among all the bikes on the list, it has the most high-technology design. That is both regarding physicality and data software. Although it may not be important for the seniors to have a high-tech machine, it will still be more convenient.
Still, the best recumbent bike for you is the one that suits your preferences the best. I do hope this list helps you and your journey to a healthier lifestyle! If you have comments, suggestions or questions, feel free to write down your comments. Happy cycling!