Going to the gym can be quite hard to schedule for some of us. Sometimes, we’re too caught up in our work or family life that we don’t have enough time anymore to hit the gym. This is why starting a home gym can be a great idea for some of us with spacious homes.
One of the first equipment you should look into is a best power rack for home gym. This equipment can help you save space with your plates as well as help you deadlift and squat. Today, we will find out the best power rack for you.
Exercises You Can Do At Home
Power racks are more commonly used by men at the gym because these are designed for power lifting heavy barbells. The purpose of this equipment is to enable you to deadlift, squat, or bench press hundreds of pounds of plates without needing a spotter.
Before using a power rack without help from an experienced person or expert, you should know how to perform the exercises that it caters to properly. So, if ever you do purchase a power rack for your home, below are some of the famous ones to do.
Squats are a famous workout for bodybuilders who are looking to increase their core body strength along with lower body resistance. Squats primarily target your buttocks as well as your calves and hips.
To do this with a power rack, set up your barbell and its plates on the rack. Put it at a reasonable height just enough for your shoulders to slide under it. Once you’ve secured your grip, slowly lift the barbell from the rack.
You can now slowly do squats by bringing the weight down slowly as you bend your knees. At the same time, extend your butt outwards and keep your shoulder straight.When pushing it upwards, do it with a quick burst and be sure to stretch your body until straight.
The bench press is arguably the most efficient workout for increasing overall chest mass. If you’re planning to get significant gains in your pectorals, bench pressing is for you.
Before doing bench presses with a power rack, you need to have a workout bench first. Align your workout bench where you’ll set your barbell.
Make sure you adjust the level of your barbell close to your chest. This way, it will be easier for you to grab it and lift upwards in your first rep.
When doing bench presses, never shrug your shoulders outward since this can cause injury. Arch your chest towards the barbell and slowly lift as you keep your chest arched. This puts maximum stress on your chest.
Unlike the bench press, deadlifts are one of the complete workouts that work your arms, lower body, glutes, and back. When doing deadlifts, you need to properly lift a barbell at rest on the ground until your arms fully extend and your shoulders straighten.
To deadlift with a power rack, you’ll need to remove the bars that are connected to the poles. You’ll see these at the lower end of your power rack.
Afterward, position the bar catcher a few inches above knee-level. After you deadlift, just place the barbell on the catcher and take a break.
Things To Look For Before Buying
When choosing a power rack at home, you need to take into consideration the size, weight, performance, durability, and even the price of what you’re buying. A power rack’s only suitable for your home if it’s not a space eater and if it can last you for years.
Durability is probably the most important aspect in your power rack. It’s important to note that your power rack should be designed to help you lift heavy weights. The rack should guide you in performing bench presses and deadlifts safely by yourself.
Hence, you should look for a power rack that’s made out of high grade and durable steel, something that can accommodate 800 pounds or higher.
Of course, if you’re planning to lift heavier weights, going for a rack that’s around 1,000 pounds would go a long way.
Because you’re looking to start a home gym, you’d want your equipment not to take too much space. Your power rack isn’t the only equipment that you should aim for. With that said, look for power racks that have an extensive walk-in feature.
This feature lets you quickly move your power rack, whether you’re going to use it or you’re only passing it by. A good power rack should have its steel poles wide apart. Try also to check other parts of your rack when looking into this feature.
For example, if your rack comes with a workout bench, that bench’s size should be proportional to the width of the power rack.
Our third on the list is performance, and that’s because a poorly designed power rack will lead you to nowhere but possible injuries. Your power rack should be designed simply, but at the same time, it should have paid attention to detail.
All power racks have holes that you use for adjusting, make sure they are at least 2” apart to give you better control over the plates that you’re using.
Other power racks also have added features like J hooks, so these are a real bonus for you to maximize your workouts.
Lastly, another important workout that you can do with a power rack is chin ups and pull ups. Be sure to check how heavy your power rack can accommodate before attempting to swing on these.
A good power rack will remain sturdy and still even when a heavy person performs pull-ups.
Best Power Rack For Home Gym: Our Top 5 Picks
#1 PowerLine PPR200X Power Rack
When it comes to convenience, the PowerLine PPR200X power rack is one of the best finds online. This machine can fit in your room without much trouble. It measures at a reasonable 44 x 82 x 46 inches in width, height, and diameter respectively.
There’s also a lot of side-to-side movement with this power rack. Not only is it not big, but it has spaces at the sides which gives you a lot of conveniences when you place this in your house. It’s more space-saving than a big dress cabinet.
- Perfect for squats, incline and decline bench presses
- The PowerLine PPR200X has two lift-offs that are heat tempered along with another pair of safety rods with a saber style design
- Up to 18 positions offered
- The rack can accommodate different heights in your workout
- Sturdy but light
- Only weighs 136 pounds without added equipment
- Made from top-notch steel that can easily store 400 pounds worth of plates
- Assembling it can be quite tricky
- Not ideal if you’re a heavyweight lifter
- Its frame is more suited for a beginner
#2 Titan T-3 Series HD Power Rack Squat
The Titan T-3 Series is a sleek power rack the specializes on light-heavy training. Similar to the PowerLine, it has a wide and space-saving design that gives you a lot of movement in your exercise.
The Titan T-3 Series can easily accommodate weights that go over 1,000 pounds. It’s great for pull ups and barbell squats. However, you can also perform incline and decline presses which make this a very versatile rack.
- High power rack for bodybuilders looking to bring a power rack home
- It only covers 12.11 square meters which make it economical for almost all homes
- Durable steel gives it the strength to store over 1,000 Ibs of plates
- Comes with chin-up bars and J hooks for added versatility in your workouts
- Made from 2x3” steel tubes for maximum durability
- Compatible with Rogue accessories for increased versatility
- The Titan T-3’s welding can look flimsy. Thus, affecting its appearance but not so much in functionality
- Holes on the frame can be quite poorly made regarding measurements. Some holes might not be 2” apart as advertised. This might give you added the difficulty of using it.
#3 Body-Solid Pro Power Rack
The Body-Solid Pro Power Rack comes third on our list as one of the simpler racks to see. If you’re an experienced lifter, move on because this power rack is directed for beginners.
For starters, the Body Solid only has a capacity worth 800 Ibs. That’s still fairly good considering it’s 200 pounds down compared to the Titan T-3. The great thing about this is that it’s extremely minimal in design.
If you try to put it at home, it won’t take up much space at all. This is perfect for beginners who are trying to do squats and deadlifts with not much space at home.
- Comes with a 41-inch wide chin up bar to give you versatility in your workouts
- 11-gauge high tensile steel. Gives you maximum strength when performing your exercises such as pull-ups and bench presses
- Has an electrostatic powder coating to prevent the frame from scratches
- Perfect for beginners because of its space-saving feature
- The assembly manual can get a little confusing
- The feet is made out of plastic and not rubber
#4 TDS Power Rack / Squat Cage
The TDS Power Rack is another item on the list that’s simple yet effective. This power rack and squat cage goes straight to the point and offers you great dimensions for your home. Moreover, the quality of its frame is enough to hold 1000 pounds.
It’s as space-saving as the body, but that extra 20-pound capacity can go a long way. It has a deep knurled chinning bar that’s 1 and ⅛ inches in size. It also comes with 31 holes for adjusting to give you maximum variety in your presses.
- Solid steel safety bars and J-hooks provide for efficient and safe heavy workouts
- Very sturdy: You can do pullups and swings with this power rack without having to worry about it moving.
- Easy to assemble: This power rack is also designed well to fit other accessories
- Extremely affordable compared to the other heavy duty racks in the market
- The holes are only an inch apart which could give you trouble when storing your plates
- Not exactly scratch resistant
#5 BodyCraft F430 Power Rack
The BodyCraft F430 looks like a military power rack that you can put at home thanks to its heavy duty design. This power rack is made out of rugged 11-gauge steel tubing to go along with rubber pads that make it extremely durable.
The BodyCraft F430 can also come with strength-training attachments. You can get BodyCraft accessories such as lats, cables, and dip handles to complete your workout.
The price may set you off a bit, but what you get here are fine quality and a lifetime warranty.
- Comes with adjustable spotter arms and bar catches. This aids you in your powerlifting by ensuring that you have a safe solo workout
- Lifetime warranty
- Visually appealing yet also extremely rigid in it construction
- You can get an assortment of add-ons that is designed for this rack for more versatility in your workouts
- Very cumbersome and challenging to construct. It depends on how you look at it, but this rack is around 280 pounds because of its high-quality metal.
- It depends on how you look at it, but this rack is around 280 pounds because of its high-quality metal.
When you’re searching for the best power rack for your home gym, it’s important to remember three factors: Size, durability, and performance. Our winner for this round checks all three, and this is the Titan T-3 power rack.
The Titan T-3 is a heavyweight cage that allows you to deadlift and bench press the heaviest of weights. It’s incredibly durable thanks to the quality of steel that it uses.
Moreover, it doesn’t cover much space in your home and is quite light despite being sturdy.
The other power racks listed might be your winner. After all, everything is a matter of preference in choosing the best ones out there. With that said, keep lifting safely at the comforts of your home!
If you found this article helpful, feel free to comment, like, and share it with your friends!